I am not yet taking orders for 2018. If you want to know when orders open, make sure you are signed up for our mailing list.
- I only produce queens in Michigan, and I follow the weather. I usually can start raising them around mid - May (when I have drones and weather), and I stop when it gets cold, I run of drones, or I need to get nucs ready for winter. This means that mated queens are available from Mid-June to Mid- August.
- It is much easier to produce cells, and they are much more available. I cannot always guarantee that I will have enough mated queens at the date you need, but I can provide you with cells.
- My focus is to provide good genetics to as many beekeepers as possible, but my time is limited, because I have to do field research in the summer. For that reason, it is much easier for me to work with larger orders to cut down on emails and phone calls. I prioritize orders for local clubs, where I work with someone who coordinates with their neighbors. Please consider helping me provide greater access to queens by coordinating an order with your neighbors or your club.
If you think need a queen in an emergency, please read our page - Help! I need a Queen! First.
2018 Nuc and queen availability
Information on 5-Frame Nucs - New for 2018
We will not be taking orders for nucs for 2018.
We plan to sell many of our overwintered nucs, and will first contact those who ordered queens/nucs last year but were unable to get them. We will then send out a notice to our mailing list. We will list the nucs when they are ready and available, and sell them to those who are able to get them when they are ready.
We will also continue to post nucs to the Northern Bee Network Facebook Sales Page. This is a free sales/swap page for selling local bees.
If you get nucs/packages from somewhere else, don't despair! You can still have a colony with our great Northern genetics.
1. Get a package from wherever you can
2. Order a northern queen from us to be ready mid-summer.
3. Requeen with a northern queen, and go into winter with local bees!
If you aren't comfortable with this process, we plan to have materials, clinics, and consulting to help you through.
Information on queens for 2018
We will be shifting our focus to providing queens to local clubs. We found that many of our customers would like more support for queen introduction, making splits, timing, etc. If we continue to provide individualized instruction at each sale of 1-2 queens, we'll never get good queens to everyone! For that reason, I will be working directly with bee clubs in Michigan to coordinate purchases, and to time them with question and answer sessions, as well as hands on demonstrations.
If you are looking for only a few queens, please make sure that you are on the mailing list for a local club.
I will also continue to take orders of 10 or more from individuals, and will organize a few clinics at the house as well where cells will be available.
2017 Northern Queens
Every season start raising queens in Michigan as soon as we can, which requires enough mature drones for them to get happily mated, usually around mid-May. We will continue to raise queens as long as weather allows (through August, and sometimes into September).
Update July 23 2017 - Our mated queens are limited - we will only have cells and potentially virgins available for sale. If you are interested in a cell or virgin, please call to schedule a pick up - 651-428-0543
Update June 13, 2017 - We are no longer guaranteeing pre-orders for mated queens. Queen cells will be available, but mated queens are now limited.
Update April 18, 2017 - I've seen only a few drones, and none mature yet, so I'm still waiting to start raising queens.
If you are looking for queens for May splits, we most likely won't have them available. We will have queen cells available on a first come-first serve basis, so feel free to call/email to see if cells are available, once I've started queen rearing.
If you are looking for a large number of queens at once, please let us know as soon as you can. We can accommodate larger orders with advance notice (please email firstname.lastname@example.org for bulk pricing).
We may not have emergency queens on hand at all times, as we will be filling orders first. Please call for availability, or consider keeping an extra queen in a nuc (clinics available) so you will never be left in a beemergency.
To pre-order queens, please use the form here.
2017 Queen prices
Mated queens - $35
Virgin queens - $20
Queen Cells - $10 (call for bulk discounts).
Shipping is available in hard cases for mated and virgin queens (not yet available for queen cells). Queens are shipped via USPS, and prices are variable, but generally about $25) for up to 20 queens.
We are doing our absolute best to find bees that can thrive in Northern climates and that can handle the varroa mite. It is our goal and passion to bring better bees into Michigan. We ask that you please do your part too, and take care of your bees. If you choose to purchase our bees, please make sure that they always have sufficient food, and that they do not become over run with varroa mites or other diseases. We love our bees, and want them to thrive, and to contribute to a HEALTHY honey bee population in Michigan. Happy Beekeeping!